Thursday, December 29, 2016

Brittney's List

I read a number of fantastic books this year, but only a handful of them were actually released in 2016, so I think I'll stick with my top 3 released in 2016 to start and then give a quick summary of some other fantastic books I read this year.



  1. A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas - Like anyone who has read this book I endured weeks of book hangover when I finished it. I was dying to have the next book in the series already available and I'm surprised I've survived waiting this long, lol. Sarah J. Maas has managed to write the most perfect man I have ever read on paper and tied it up with a fantastic plot. The books was dangerous, magical, fast paced, a sooo sexy. My most anticipated release for next year is "A Court of Wings and Ruin."
  2. Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo - Honestly this one surprised me a little bit. I read the Grisha Trilogy this year and I liked it. I thought it was really well done and had some unique plot elements, but it also had a semi familiar rhythm for the trope. I went into Six of Crows expecting more of the same and was pleasant surprised at how different, deeper, darker, and more unexpected it was. I went into Crooked Kingdom expecting the moon and I was given the sun. I could not believe how my expectations were met and exceed time and time again. The plot was so clever, Kaz was so clever and the stake and characters and whole book had me on the edge of my seat. If I wasn't so in love with Rhysand from "A Court of Mist and Fury" this would have been number one most recommended book. As it stands it's in second place by only a hairsbreadth.
  3. This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab - I love love in my books. I want a slow burning romance and a teen love story of discovery and adventure. That is not was this book was about it. There was no love and yet somehow I still fell head over heels for it. It's a dystopian Romeo and Juliet(ish) book, except there is no love and there are terrifying and creative monsters ripping people apart. It was juicy and really well done. 


Others fantastic books I read this year released prior to 2016



  1. Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer - I hated the covers of these books and the premise sounded so unappealing to me. I would not have read them if my mom had not bought me the entire series for my birthday. I was completely sucked in by the first chapter and they are among my favorite books of all time. Fairytale retelling for the win, and one of the best I've ever read.
  2. An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir - A great and brutal adventure set in a roman empire landscape with hints of magic. It was gritty and the Commandant was something else entirely *shudder* but the book was fantastic and felt really fresh.
  3. Children of Icarus by Caighlan Smith - I kind of had a love/hate relationship with this book. I loved the plot idea: A bunch of kids thrown in a brutal maze (think Maze Runner meets Hunger Games) and I thought the world and most of the characters were really well done and interesting... but I hated the protagonist. She was such a nobody and her inaction for the first 3/4 of the book drove me insane! I will for sure read the next book and little-miss-nobody better step up her game!
  4. A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro - This was a fun spin on the Sherlock Holmes stories. We've jumped a few generations forward to the great grandchildren of both Dr. Watson and Sherlock. Two teenage kids stuck in a private school. They've spent their whole lives hearing about each other but things don't go quite as planned when they actually meet and it doesn't take lone for a Sherlock sized mystery to unfold around them. I thought it was witty and fun and great modern take on the classic characters.
  5. Iron King by Julie Kagawa - A modern girl gets pulled into fairyland. It was a great adventure and the fairyworld was perfect! Magical, life threatening, lush, and lots of hot dangerous guys. I loved the first book. Unfortunately I didn't care for the second book and my interested in the series waned. But the first was really good and I think I am in the minority with being a second book hater.

1 comments:

  1. The Children of Icarus looks really good; I might have to try it! A couple of the best books I read this year would be Merrick by Anne Rice and The Blackthorn Key by Kevin Sands.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete