Tuesday, September 8, 2015





Distiller: Hikari Loftus
Rating: 4/5 stars



Uprooted
by Naomi Novik
Del Rey; First Edition edition (May 19, 2015)
448 pages





I’m sorry I waited so long to pick this one up!
Uprooted was like picking up a familiar old fairytale from my childhood and I really enjoyed it.


Agnieszka has spent her entire life waiting for her 17th year, where one girl from her beloved village will be chosen and taken by The Dragon into his tower for ten years. No one knows what he does with the girls in there for a decade, but the thought is terrifying, even if everyone knows that he will choose Kasia. 

The Dragon is not even a dragon at all, but a very powerful wizard who only makes appearances to fight the evil of The Wood that plagues their country. 

Whatever goes into The Wood never comes out whole, if they come out at all. The Wood poisons and corrupts everything it touches. Turns it to a hollow shell of evil. 

But The Dragon doesn’t pick Kasia, and suddenly Agnieszka finds that her worst fears are being realized. Not only that, but The Wood’s corruption is reaching farther and farther and The Dragon’s powers cannot stop it. Agnieszka’s beloved valley is about to go to war with The Wood and she's caught in the middle of it.

I absolutely loved the fairytale feel of this story. It can feel a little long at times, but I found that I was willing to go for the ride. There is actually very little character growth here, but I still loved the characters and the beautiful world (where most of the time and description was saved for.) 

I did wish for more of the romance, but at the same time, it worked for the characters personalities and I loved it just the way it was. Readers should be aware that the sex in this book is New Adult, not YA. (so a little more detailed and steamy, but not too crazy)

I wished that the big explanation about the evil in this book wasn’t held out for so long. But that is my personal preference. Highly recommend for fairytale lovers. Lots of action, mystery, and magic.


0 comments:

Post a Comment