Monday, January 11, 2016






Distiller: Hikari Loftus
4/5 Stars



Library of Souls (Book 3: Miss Peregrine's)
by Ransom Riggs
Quirk Books; First Edition first Printing edition (September 22, 2015)
464 pages





It’s always hard writing a synopsis of series books, since anything you say after the first one gives away surprises and plot lines. (and I know you can read the synopsis anywhere online, but you won’t be getting any spoilers from me!)

I know there are some negative comments out there about how Ransom Riggs developed a story around old photos he found. I personally think that it was probably more difficult than people think (it's not like the photos spelled out the plot line and character arcs) and found the usage of photos to create a storyline and characters was pretty clever.

While I wouldn’t say this is one of my top favorite series, I definitely enjoyed reading them and liked them enough to put on my personal shelves. They are just FUN. I know a lot of people are under the impression that these are overly creepy or scary books, but the truth is, I didn’t find them to be scary at all. I think they are exactly as they say they are: Peculiar.

Library of Souls was a very straightforward story. I enjoyed reading Jacob’s character and peculiar abilities evolve and grow. I loved reading about Peculiardom too, and the characters and the different peculiar abilities they had.

I think the combination of the photos and the storyline made this world and the characters particularly vivid and real to me. (although some times I would turn the page after reading a description and find the picture and the image I made up in my head were pretty different. Ha.) 

There are a lot of different ways to end a story, and I was happy with how Riggs decided to close this series. There were a couple ways it could have gone, and I was really happy with the outcome. (and that last picture!) 

If you’re looking for a fun, peculiar, and quick read, I highly suggest these. (I found them to be really quick reads.) 

Very much looking forward to seeing the movie and what Tim Burton’s touch does to this story on the big screen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment