Friday, February 17, 2017




Distiller: Hikari Loftus
5/5 Stars



We Are Okay
by Nina LaCour
240 pages
February 14th 2017 by Dutton Books for Young Readers




You guys. The FEELS! .

It’s always hard for me to articulate my opinion on a book when I close it so full of emotions. I literally could not speak to anyone for an hour after I finished this book without almost choking on threatening tears. .

Marin has a pretty good life. She lives with her grandfather in comfortable companionship. She’s got a great best friend in Mabel and they’re both excited for college. Aside from constantly being surrounded by people (including her grandfather) that knew her mother better than she did and mourn her mother with actual memories of their own, things are good for Marin. .

But then suddenly things aren’t okay, and Marin exits her old life without a word to anyone that she’s leaving behind. We Are Okay is one of those reads that starts in a moment of significance and slowly rewinds so readers can understand what brought the two characters to that point. .

Maybe it's because one of my worst fears is dying and leaving my daughter behind when I want to be there to help her navigate life and see her grow, that this book hit me so deeply. My heart was just broken for Marin in her journey. .

I loved how this short story revealed itself and how authentic the emotions and relationships (between all the characters) played out. It just felt real and honest to me. I love all the different kinds of love in this story, and how certain kinds of love can really save someone and how other types of love cannot fix or erase your problems. .

This book is the perfect length for this kind of story. You can read it in one or two short sittings and while it’s grief-filled, it’s full of healing. (Also recommend for anyone looking for a great, normal f/f relationship that didn’t feel like a plot device.)


0 comments:

Post a Comment