Saturday, March 26, 2016





Distiller: Hikari Loftus
3/5 Stars



Placid Girl
by Brenna Ehrlich
273 pages
All Ages Press (August 25, 2015)


Cool article about Author Brenna Ehrlich's All Ages Press project, publishing books, tapes and magazines for teens. See the article here



Synopsis from Goodreads:

Punk was created for the malcontents, something that loner and aspiring drummer Hallie understands all too well. Trapped in a boring suburban life – dysfunctional parents included! – Hallie drowns her angst in the angry songs of Haze, a masked musician who has not been heard from in five years. So naturally she’s surprised – and more than a little skeptical – when someone who seems to be Haze starts flirting with her via her favorite photo-sharing app. Is he who he says he is? What does he want from her? The questions only multiply when Hallie — along with bandmate Sarah and aspiring music journalist Steve — roadtrip to Haze's comeback gig to unmask the reclusive musician once and for all.

I have to admit that it took me awhile to get into this one, and that’s mostly due to personal writing style preferences. (I’m not big on lots of metaphoric descriptions and this one started out with a lot, but eventually they petered out or I got used to them.)

I think this book highlighted some important things about social media and obsessions we have with people we admire. No matter what you think you know about someone, if you haven’t actually met them, the chances are high you don’t know much. 

Hallie confides in her mystery social media pen pal, and the more she does, the weirder the situations become. 

This was a pretty dark and some times heavy book. Between the situations, scenes, and often heavy swearing I actually felt a little icky and depressed. (I’m probably not punk rock enough for this read. haha But seriously.)
.
It’s the twist in this story, when things start getting really weird, that I got really interested. It takes a turn for creepy and the mystery is more complex than I initially thought. 

I liked the arc that Hallie traveled. I wish that there was a little more resolution/info on her friend Sarah’s home situation, but overall, even though I wasn’t so sold on the beginnings of this book, I liked where it eventually went and how it ended. 

This is a super quick read, recommended for music lovers and people looking for a quick evening thriller.

0 comments:

Post a Comment