Thursday, March 3, 2016





Distiller: Hikari Loftus
4/5 Stars



Thanks for the Trouble
by Tommy Wallach
288 pages
Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (February 23, 2016)



This is one of those books where the synopsis sounds generic, but there is good reason for it. Saying anymore would give everything away. So stick with me.


Synopsis from book cover:
"Parker Sante hasn’t spoken a word in five years. While his classmates plan for bright futures, he drifts along, hanging out in hotels, watching the guests. But when he meets a silver-haired girl named Zelda Toth, a girl who claims to be quite a bit older than she looks, he’ll discover there might be a few things left worth living for."

This book felt like someone took a bunch of familiar story lines, threw them into a blender, and produced an old favorite with a dollop of Tommy Wallach. (Wallach is the author, people) Did that make any sense to you? (It means that between this book and “We All Looked Up” I saw some similarities in the style and way life topics were addressed, in a way that can only mean those places are where we see the author shining through.)

I admit that “We All Looked Up”, Wallach’s debut novel wasn’t really my jam for a lot of reasons. But he’s still a great writer, and I listened to one of his songs and liked that too. Both good reasons to give “Thanks for the Trouble” a go, in my opinion.

“Thanks for the Trouble” was random, full of tangents, weird, extremely thought-provoking, funny, honest, and the plot was very much like stories I’ve read before, but not quite like anything I’ve read before. Like I said, it’s the Wallach touch that makes this.

So what am I trying to say? I enjoyed this immensely. It’s a fast read and it’s a really weird read, but it made me laugh unexpectedly many times and it was just what I needed. I thought Zelda and Parker were totally authentic characters and I thought this story traveled an honest path.

Wallach is 1 for 1 with me now. Very much looking forward to his next work.

Check the link below to win a “Thanks for the Trouble” prize pack, including: hardcover edition of TFTT, a journal, pair of sunglass (as seen on Zelda on the cover) Open to US only, closes March 15.

http://rivetedlit.com/2016/02/23/thanks-for-the-trouble-giveaway/

0 comments:

Post a Comment