Friday, August 5, 2016





Distiller: Hikari Loftus
3.5 Stars



You Know Me Well
by Nina LaCour and David Levithan
256 pages
St. Martin's Griffin (June 7, 2016)


I have some mixed feelings about this read. The storyline as a whole piece didn’t really come together for me, but each individual story had some important things to say and held my interest. .

This is first and foremost, a love story. We follow Kate and Mark, both gay, out, and comfortable with their sexuality through Pride Week in San Francisco, where they are determined to help each other figure out their individual love stories and find themselves in the process. .

Chapters alternate between Kate and Mark’s perspectives and we follow them through one very confusing, heartbreaking, and soul searching week. It took me a minute to get into, but the pace quickens and it's not hard to get involved in what's happening. .

I loved the honesty in this book. The way things happened and panned out, for the most part, felt realistic. Also, the writing was beautiful. There were so many quotes from this book that struck me deeply. My mixed feelings came from some plot holes and maybe one too many things happening. .

I kind of thought this story was going to be a lighter read from the way it began, but it turned into a more serious coming of age story. For me, it was an okay read (I am not really the target audience), but I think it could have some really meaningful, relatable, or resonating passages for LGBQT teens. There are some parts in here that just touched me deeply on what it can be like for LGBQT teens, and made me want to be a better person and parent. .

If you're looking for a quick read and an LGBQT story you should give this one a try. 

2 comments:

  1. This looks like an awesome read! I'll definitely be adding it to my TBR pile :)

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the honest review, Hikari! I have this book on my TBR too, hopefully I could enjoy more :)

    http://laxsourire.blogspot.my/

    ReplyDelete