Tuesday, August 22, 2017





Distiller: Hikari Loftus
4.5/5 Stars



Wonder Woman Warbringer DC Icons Series (Book 1)
by Leigh Bardugo
384 pages
Random House Books for Young Readers (August 29, 2017)



Get your highlighter ready, people. I just wanted to underline everything in this book. But let’s start at the beginning.

It took me a minute to get into this book, and it was all me, not the book. It doesn’t make any sense that this book WAS interesting to me from the get-go, but I put it down once or twice before really taking it up.

I decided that this was because I’d just spent the last several years completely enamored with the Grishaverse and I got off the Grishaverse train directly in Themyscira and was momentarily disoriented. Like… “Leigh told me to get off at this stop, but I don’t see her yet.” (how’s this analogy going, guys? haha) I think I just needed to have taken that mental minute to take on this new world, because once you get started you see Leigh’s signature everywhere. In the humor, the cleverness, the way inner light and dark sides are acknowledged, the easy to love characters…

This story got more complex as it went and it definitely went out with a bang. I love the role of a super hero, and I loved the goodness in Diana. Diana is the kind of person I want to be. I admit that I’m not well versed in comic canon, and I really only know the mainstream, well known characters—but it was fun getting to know Diana and learning a bit about her both through this book, and reading up on her just out of newfound interest.

I’m not sure if there will be other books after Warbringer. This book definitely had a solid stand alone ending, but also had an opening for something in the future. I know that if there will be another book, I’ll be looking forward to reading it.

Absolutely loved this read for its humor, themes, messages, characters and action!


0 comments:

Post a Comment